Thursday 30 October 2008

Arsenal 4-4 Tottenham Hotspur

Well, stoned enough to get over the disappointment of the result and pissed enough to have spent the night shouting at the telly in the pub. Only vague memories of the match even though I watched the highlights when I got in. Do know it was great fun and a textbook evening in terms of the overall aim. Not too damaging on the accounts or the stock either. Mixing and matching seems to be working. I have a well stocked fridge and the magic tin is far from empty.
So, I am getting close to the lifestyle of my younger days. The football helped last night, I spent many hours of stupefaction due to a certain result in days gone by. Memorably (sort of), having watched Arsenal complete the double in '98, I came to my senses at a barbecue two days later with nobody I knew or have ever seen since I excused myself and left. Quality celebration.
Of course, losing creates the same excuse for a binge and losing the cup final to Liverpool had more or less the same effect in '00 or '01 (can't remember and I'm still too hungover to check). I got through a LOT of coke that night and was skint for weeks. Slightly less enjoyable but all within the spirit of the age.
The result can be a spur but the contest itself is enough to spark a bout of boozing. I have forgotten every detail of the time England went to Munich and beat Germany 5-1, because I had gone to an Irish pub with a mate to watch his lot beat Holland an couple of hours before our game. I missed the two goal turnaround of Man U's champions league victory because I'd gone to do a fat line before extra time started. This list is long and I won't go further but the point is sport in pubs is a great thing for a boozer.
Not, I suppose, that I have ever needed much encouragement...

No comments: