Thursday 4 December 2008

Short Break in the Radio Silence

Though strictly speaking on a 'sensible' break, I perhaps should document some of the recent garglings. I have taken up friday nights at the local drink 'n' darterie. In order to prevent myself from getting completely out of my usual match fitness, you understand. Managing the budget in these straightened times has not been easy but I am managing ok by sticking to the one vice of slurping only. Last weekend for example was pretty drunken. The previous friday necking session was the first of the fiscal month, so the neck muscles well-oiled. Saturday was the wife's turn for heading out so I got the usual 6 for a fiver and made sure I was unfit to drive. Sunday then gave me an excuse to go out and see Arsenal beat Chelsea while Spurs were losing to Everton. (snigger). This is cause for celebration so the flow was unhchecked for a while. This weekend, while not hefty, was acceptable in the current economic climate and further proof that this experiment will work, given the right careful planning. Unfortunately planning is the weak point of the spontaneous lifestyle and now I'm skint til the 15th.

Just a word on the 6 cans thing. It is possible to sustain a full blown alcoholic life on much less a day. The big 2 litre bottles of ridiculously strong cider the offy's tout for 2 quid will go a long way towards a days oblivion. But I always think there needs to be a quality to a man's drunkeness that is not catereed for here. And anyone who drinks it or Special Brew or Tennants Super has no such standards. And a drink problem. Which may sound a harsh thing to say from someone who is attempting to regain a youthful appetite for perusing the beers and spirits aisle of life's supermarket but there you go. I don't have the need to drink, but I do have the desire to be 'off it'. This is not exclusively tailored to booze, so where does this place me in the world of ____ anonymouses? Nowhere really. I have lost friends to alcoholism and I know what it takes to be given the title. Though I have at times been sometimes alarmed at how much in common my life can have with the addicted. This is usually a social thing though. I tend to have cleary defined starts and finishes to my drinking bouts and if I get bored I go home. This is true with drugs also. I don't make a habit of the more addictive ones and go long periods without.
And there is too much else I enjoy in life to allow me to become the one dimensional person you need to become to give in to addiction.

Anyway, now I've reassured myself, I can look forward to getting 'fuckola'ed on the 15th :)

No comments: